island Andros
andros_beach

Sightseeing & Monuments | Museums and foundations

THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART
An internationally renowned museum, it was set up in 1979 by the Vasilis and Eliza Goulandri Foundation. In 1986 a new wing, measuring 10,000 square metres was opened. It was designed by the architect H. Kontovounis and received an award in an international competition for its position in the surrounding space. The new wing includes a library, a projection room and large exhibition rooms with the possibility of housing a range of international exhibitions.
To date, its apartments have presented exhibitions of: P. Picasso, Η. Matis, W. Kandinsky, Μπουζιάνη, Balthus, A. Giacometti, P. Klee, Chagall, Giorgio de Chirico, Α. Rodin, H. Moore, T. Lautrec J. Miro and many others.
This summer from June 26th to September 25th,
an exhibition of the british pop art of the sixties "METAMORPHOSIS".

 

 

 

 


THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
A very functional and attractive edifice built in 1981. It houses findings which have been discovered over time on Andros, also a very well-preserved copy of the Map of Rigas Feraios; an exceptional statue, the Hermes of Andros (roman copy of the work of Praxitelis) and the exemplary Zagora collection.


 

 

 

 

THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTION OF PALIOPOLIS
In the old community building of Paliopolis is a small but interesting archaeological collection consisting of surface discoveries from the archaeological site in the area. It covers the historical period from ancient times up to the Roman era.


 

 

THE KAIRIS LIBRARY
Here are found approximately 3000 tomes from the collection of Theofilos Kairis (an Andros scholar and priest, 1784-1852). Including a large number of rare publications, manuscripts, historical records, works of art, as well as a small archaeological collection. The library also operates a lending service. During the summer, exhibitions are organized in its new exhibition chamber, as well as oratory and musical displays.


 

 

 

 

 

 

THE KYDONIEOS INSTITUTE
The Kydonieos Institute was founded in 1994 by P & M Kydonieos. It's interest concentrates mainly on the fine arts, such as: music, theatre and literature. In 1995, the traditional "Ploes" was established and every summer it organises art exhibitions which have contributed to the forming of the quest for contemporary art.

 

 

 

 

 

THE NAUTICAL MUSEUM
Here one can find Andros' nautical history contained in freight agreements, lithographics, photographs, nautical instruments and models of Andros ships.


THE MUSEUM OF FOLKLORE AND CHRISTIAN ART
This museum is positioned in the grounds of the Hotel Paradise. It presents exhibitions of typical traditional Andros life and copies of Christian Icons of Andros.

Copyright © 2012 Batsi Tourist Club phone: +(30) 6945326012. All rights reserved. Designed | Developed by Goodfridge.gr