island Andros
andros_beach

Sightseeing & Monuments | Monasteries & Byzantine Churches

THE MONASTERY OF "AGIA" (ZOODOCHOS PIGHI)
The largest monastery on the island of Andros is the Zoodochou Pighis (meaning life giving spring), also known as "Agias".The date of its construction is unknown. Unconfirmed information suggests that the building existed and was used as a school during the Byzantine years and became a monastery in 842. There are even reports that many islanders, nobility and commoners alike, were educated here and the school produced plenty of priests, bishops and patriarchs. The monastery is officially recorded for the first time in 1400, while the chapel contains an icon dated from 1325. It was renovated during the 16th century and the 20th century and its original Byzantine form was distorted. Its celebration day is the first Friday after Greek Orthodox Easter Sunday.


THE MONASTERY OF PANACHRANDOU
A fortified Byzantine monastery on the slope of Mount Katafigi. Rumoured to be 1000 years old. The monastery houses an icon of the Panachrando's Virgin Mary, rendered by St Luke. The monastery's chapel is of Byzantine design with a wonderful dome. The retable and the entrance panel to the narthex are terrific examples of post-Byzantine art.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE MONASTERY OF AGIOS NIKOLAOS
According to tradition, it was built in the 8th century in the place of a small church of Saint Nicholas that existed there. Historically, it is mentioned for the first time during the 14th century. In the monastery there are splendid murals and a large and beautiful wooden altar screen. A Byzantine icon of the Virgin Mary (Panagia of Vlachernis) and an icon of Saint Nicholas, which sister Leondia wove using her own hair, are both found here!
From the monastery there is a footpath which after 30 minutes leads to the quiet and stunning beach of Achla, with golden sands and azure waters.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ΤHE MONASTERY OF AGIA MARINA
It has arisen from the writings of the Monastery of Koutroumousiou at Agios Oros that the monastery of Agia Marina was founded during the time of Paliologon in 1325. It was closed in 1837 by royal decree. In the intervening time it remained closed, it was looted and was burnt. In 1976 it was re-opened and restored. Amongst the treasures which were saved from the fire is an icon of Agia Marina (17th century) and the weeping Virgin Mary.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE MONASTERY OF PANAGIA TROMARCHIANI
This is an old part of the Monastery of Panachrantou. It is built in an idyllic place with plenty of water and rich vegetation. It is fortified and has a wonderful wooden carved altar screen dating from the beginning of the 18 century (1806 - 1810).

 

 

 

 

 

 


THE MONASTERY OF ZOODOCHOS PIGHI OF FILETRA
This monastery is a part of Panachrantou, dedicated to the Virgin Mary Lifegiving Spring. It has a marble altar screen and houses some fine icons.

 

 

 

 



THE MONASTERY OF AGHIA TRIADA (HOLLY TRINITY)
Found in Korthi, this monastery was built during the 19th century. It was here that the first Greek school operated during the years of the Ottoman occupation. Today it houses a faculty of environmental studies.

 

 

 

 

 

BYZANTINE CHURCHES

TAXIARCHIS OF MESSARIA
This church is dedicated to the Archangel Michael. According to an inscription on one of the columns, it was built in 1158 from the emperor

 

 

 

 

 

AGIOS YIANNIS THEOLOGOS
Situated in old Korthi, this is the oldest church on Andros. It was built between the 5th and 8th century. A cypress tree is growing through the roof and this is used as a sundial to time each farmer's use of the water for irrigation.
Manuel Komninos. It has a marble altar screen and the few remaining murals are of exceptional design.

 

 

 

 

 

 

TAXIARCHIS OF YPSILOU
This church is situated in Kato Ipsilou and dates from the same era as Taxiarchis in Melidas. It has many new annexes which have distorted its original shape.

 

 

 

 

 

 



TAXIARCHIS OF MELIDA
This beautiful church is situated in the cemetery of Pitrofos. It was built in the 11th century and has murals dating from the 12th century.

 

 

 

 

 



PANAGIA OF MESATHOURI
This church once again dates from the same era as the church of Kimiseos of Theotokou at Mesathouri. It also has many new annexes.

 

 

 

 

 

 



PANAGIA PALATIANI
Probably built in the 13th or 14th century, this church is found inside the city walls of Hora. It has an altar screen with wonderful icons.

 

 

 

 

 

 



AGIOS NIKOLAOS

This church is situated in old Korthi, very near to Ag. Yiannis Theologos. It dates from the 12th century and used to have murals, but they were not preserved. This is a beautiful small church on the road to Vitali. Probably dating from the 12th century, it was an old Catholic monastery which has not been preserved.

 

 

 



METAMORFOSI SOTIROS

This church is situated in old Korthi, very near to Ag. Yiannis Theologos. It dates from the 12th century and used to have murals, but they were not preserved. This is a beautiful small church on the road to Vitali. Probably dating from the 12th century, it was an old Catholic monastery which has not been preserved.

Copyright © 2012 Batsi Tourist Club phone: +(30) 6945326012. All rights reserved. Designed | Developed by Goodfridge.gr